Friday, December 19, 2008

"Happy for Christmas! "

Each year a Jultomte (Santa Claus) comes around to all the classrooms to give out candy and fruit to the kids...even my Grade 4 and Grade 5 students! After the visit this time around on Tuesday the kids were quietly working on the art projects and two of my 5th graders said to me "Carol, you should have been the Jultomten this year." (I immediately thought negatively that they were referring to my size especially since this year's Tomte was quite skinny. ) Obviously another student thought the same and he said "Yes, because you're soooo big!" But the other two boys looked startled and quickly said "NO, that's not what we mean!" Then they spoke to each other with bowed heads and both looked up and said at the same time..."We mean because you are SO HAPPY for Christmas!" Then they proceeded to point out all the things I have been wearing or saying or singing and even the feelings I have been projecting to my classes these last 2 weeks of school. (Just as a side comment...both of these boys are Muslims.) At the end they agreed that I would have made a far better Jultomten than the one that came to visit us this year. I was so touched by their observations and kind words to me! That was the best present any student could have given me! Affectionate recognition!

And that leads me to another kind recognition... I got this from Suzie at littlebuzybee.....Thank you Suzie!
The Award is for Christmas Spirit!
Here are the rules for Christmas award.
You must be a true Christmas lover to receive this award.
The person to whom you give the award must also be in love with Christmas.
You must link back to the person who gave you the award.
You must list 5 things that you love about Christmas.
If you can't limit it to 5 things, then keep going till you run out of space!
Pass the award along to as many people as you like.
That can be 1 or 45; it's up to you. But, you must pass it on to at least one person in order to keep the Christmas cheer going!
Let your recipients know that you have tagged them by leaving them a comment.

5 things I love about Christmas:
1. The "buzz" of excitement in the air everywhere!
2. Fun secrets between friends and family...presents bought and wrapped secretly!
3. Cozy house decorations...some are new, some I've made, some I've had a long, long time!
4. FOOD...cookies, gingerbread, glögg, eggnog, gingerbread yogurt for breakfast, pickled herring, Jonsson's, ham, turkey, pumpkin pie, rice pudding...cranberries! (not to be eaten all together though!)
5. FAMILY TOGETHER....doesn't matter where...Sweden or America or Mexico...but just together!
6. Smells...cinnamon, pine, snow, candles a glow!

Now I must pass this along to some others! Hum.....Visit these fine blogs for more Christmas Spirit!
Vanessa
G'Gma
Maya Luna

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hello Carol. Here's wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas cheer.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic Carol, that your kids recognized the spirit within you (for those of us who know you, we are not surprised). You have always generated joy, compassion, and an innate ability to spread those things to others so even the most grumpy begin to smile. We are thinking of you all as we sit under the christmas tree lit palm trees and I heartily agree with all of your loves of christmas (with the exception of herring) but you forgot all the adventlights lit in windows in cold, foggy winter light--mmmm like a warm velvety hug!!!!Love you!

Lori S-C said...

okay, that was a compliment from your students! Twice this week, I had some comments that maybe weren't as flattering. The first was from this auty kid and we were working on reading a book that ends with a picture of a grandma with gray hair and glasses. He pointed to the picture, and then to my work badge and said "same". Then yesterday, we were drawing family pictures at Christmas time and the kids asked where were my grandchildren....
I guess I am getting older. And I probably am older than their grandmothers...
Yeesh.

chrisi said...

thank you for visit my blog, merry christmas greet chris